how to stay happy + attempt to beat anxiety
Welcome to the world. I have anxiety and have had it for a looooong time. Sometimes it's debilitating, other times it's manageable. I've figured out certain ways to curb it and ways to stay happy no matter what is going on. I'll be talking more about this subject in the future, but for now, I hope that these tips & tricks help you a little bit.
- write it all down. – Take a journal and write your feelings. Let it alllll out on paper and I promise you, you will instantly feel a little bit better, I swear, it's like magic.
- make a happy list. – A while ago I got the advice to have a list on your phone of all the things that make you happy. It’s something you can always add to and look at when you’re having a bad day. I like to try to do one or two of those things to put a smile on my face. My list includes some of my favorite songs (6 Inch by Beyonce), biscuits and gravy (which I can't even eat anymore), reading Pinterest quotes, or my favorite @rmdrk, watching Friends or Kardashians, or taking a nap. Naps always win.
- put your phone away.– I know that I’m on my phone constantly for my job and my blog and it drains me sometimes. It’s hard seeing everyone on Instagram looking perfect with so many followers and likes and perfect bodies and clothes. It can really bring you down. Sometimes, you just need to put your phone down for an hour, or even 30 minutes and do something else.
- put on your favorite music.– This can be while you’re driving, in your room, in the shower, walking wherever.
- read a book.- I read at least one book a week, I swear. It’s what puts me to sleep at night and in the middle of the night when I wake up. I also love to just read when I’m feeling anxious or stressed and transport myself to another world.
- go shopping.– I know, I have a shopping problem, but it really does make me feel better. (my bank account not so much.) A new outfit or new little goodie gives me a boost of confidence, especially when I’m really feeling my outfit, I am already in a better mood!
- call your best friend, mom, grandparents, etc.– I have a small list of people who I trust with anything and whenever I’m feeling down I call them. Find your list of those people in your life who will always be there for you and know that you can always call them. Something else that makes me happy is Facetiming with my dog. My mom gets annoyed, but hey, I love my puppy!
- start a new Netflix show.– It will instantly keep you occupied and less stressed. It gives you something to look forward to when you don’t have any plans or for a night in. I’m currently on Season 8 of Grey’s Anatomy but other favorites include Schitt’s Creek, Gossip Girl, 90210, Friends, Life in Pieces, and Scandal.
- take a walk.– Lately, I have loved just leaving my apartment and taking a walk through the neighboring streets. I put on my headphones and call a family member or friend, listen to a podcast or blast some rap music. It's just as good as working out and it's some nice alone time.
- pray.- You might not be spiritual or religious, but talking to God or even out loud really helps. I love to do this in the shower or in the car. You might think I’m weird too, but aren’t we all?!
Below are some of my favorite quotes that I love reading and re-reading.
What makes you happy? How do you stay positive?
*All images found on Pinterest, the best place ever.